Need a little kitchen inspiration? Never fear! Grainful recipes to the rescue! Below Chef Sacco serves up an easy-to-follow guide to cooking her delicious baked chicken. Topped with a garlicy blend of mushrooms and spinach, covered with melted gruyere, and served with delicious cauliflower, this dish is perfect any night of the week! YUM!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6
1 small head cauliflower
1 lb shredded gruyere cheese, split in half
2 lbs organic boneless, skinless chicken thighs
4 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz baby bella mushrooms, quartered
1 small package baby spinach
½ cup lemon juice
1 cup chicken stock
½ stick unsalted butter, cut into squares
- Preheat oven to 425⁰ F.
Remove the main stem of the cauliflower with a knife and break down the head into medium sized florets. The bigger the better.
- Place the florets on a sheet pan, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with olive oil.
- Using your hands, toss the cauliflower to coat the florets with the olive oil. Place in the oven and cook for 8 minutes.
- Using kitchen tongs, turn the florets over to brown the other side. Bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle with shredded gruyere and set aside. Lower the oven temperature to 375⁰ F.
- In a sauté pan, add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Season each chicken thigh with salt and pepper.
- Be sure the oil is hot - test by sprinkling a little salt in the oil; if it bubbles, it’s ready. Add chicken thighs in a single layer.
- Brown each side of the chicken for about 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165⁰ F.
- Remove and place on a sheet pan.
Mushrooms and Spinach
- Using the same sauté pan, add the garlic and sauté until golden.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and sauté until they release their moisture.
- Add spinach and sauté until wilted. Pour spinach and mushrooms over the chicken.
Using the same pan, add the lemon juice and chicken stock. Scrape the bottom of the pan to remove any fond. Bring to a simmer and add butter one piece at a time while whisking constantly. Be sure the liquid is simmering and the butter is cold, otherwise your sauce will separate and not thicken.
- Taste for seasoning. Pour the sauce over the chicken, spinach and mushrooms. Top with the other half of the shredded gruyere cheese and put in the oven along with the sheet pan with cauliflower. Bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower and turn the oven to broil. Melt the cheese on the chicken until it starts bubbling and browning.